Breaking news: Registration for fibre is open! :D
Frogfoot selected as fibre internet service provider
After the submissions have been received through the RFP process we appointed Frogfoot to provide fibre services for the Lynnwood Fibre Initiative (now covering a large part of Pretoria East). The RFP process had submissions from Dark Fibre Africa, Fibrehoods, Frogfoot, Link Africa, Telkom Wholesale (Openserve) Vodacom and Vumatel. The competition was tough, however after our evaluation process through a scored weighted matrix Frogfoot was the clear winner with a score of 93%. Second place received a score of 86% while third place scored 67%. Due to the close scores of second place with first, we did a manual sanity check and Frogfoot still came out on top.
If you are interested in the details of the evaluation process, you can find the LFI report here, and all the supporting documentation, submitted proposals, calculation tables and other documents in progress (such as the memorandum of understanding) here.
Actions you can take
- Visit Frogfoot's fibre portal: frogfootfibre.com
- Register for fibre! Frogfoot Fibre Registration Page.
- View the extended coverage map for Pretoria East: Frogfoot Fibre Coverage. You can check whether you fall in the area by entering your address.
- View the packages available: Frogfoot Fibre ISP packages. I'm keeping my eye on the 100 Mbps, 300 GB for R750 from Vox!
- Support us by liking our facebook page. This is also where the latest news will be distributed.
- If you have not yet signed our petition to the City of Tshwane, please do so here: Change.org Tshwane broadband petition. Consider sharing it on facebook, and asking your neighbors to sign.
- Please complete our survey, this will make sure we have your details and can reach you.
The survey takes less than 2 minutes to complete. This is all you have to do to support the initiative. :-).
Some residents have reported problems with the survey buttons on this page. If you are experiencing dead links, or unresponsive buttons please try this link. Alternatively, please copy and paste this shortened URL into your address bar: https://goo.gl/iayPJt
To reach our goals the Lynnwood Fibre Initiative Followed a process:
- Spread the message among the community.
- Ask residents to take a survey to gauge the level of interest in the area (https://goo.gl/iayPJt).
- Select a fibre provider through a fair and open RFP process.
- The fibre provider takes things forward with the roll out and infrastructure installation.
5 reasons to support the Lynnwood Fibre Initiative
- Increased security: fibre allows for the use of very cost effective CCTV monitoring in the suburb and gated communities, deterring thieves and allowing for quick incident detection and response times.
- Free internet for schools: fibre providers can provide free and very fast internet to schools, increasing learning effectiveness and helping them deliver an education more relevant to the future.
- Increased property value: Studies have shown that suburbs with fibre saw an increase of up to 8% in property value.
- Less expensive: Fibre internet is less expensive than ADSL, 3G & LTE, faster, more reliable, more stable, and it is the future of internet connectivity.
- It is easy & safe: All it takes is the completion of a short survey. All the difficult questions are optional. Showing interest is non-committal, so there is nothing to lose, zero risk.
Help us spread the word. Please share with our fellow Lynnwood (and surrounding areas') residents!
Fibre To The Home (FTTH) Explained
Fibre internet uses the latest technology to deliver the world's fastest internet at affordable prices.
Fibre is the next generation of internet connectivity. It utilises thin inexpensive glass (or plastic) strands that carry data signals in the form of pulses of light. Fibre is immune to electromagnetic interference and works over very long distances.
Fibre Speeds in South Africa can reach up to 1 Gbps. It is 25x faster than the fastest VADSL speed, and 250x faster than the average ADSL speed. Even better, you achieve full speeds over your line during all 24 hours of the day. Don't consider yourself a speed freak? Don't worry, there is an option for everyone.
Prices start from R200 p/m for a 4 Mbps line with 20 GB of data. This is 30% less expensive than similar 3G and ADSL options. There are no restrictions on when you can use your data (forget night surfer - it's obsolete), or what you can use your data on (slowing down "low" priority data by your ISP is a thing of the past).
Open network means more choice, more control, less cost, and no duplication. Any ISP can deliver service on the network, and we benefit from their competition. You can easily choose between speed, data, and ISPs at an instant's notice. Once the fibre is installed, there is no need to ever lay a network again. Fibre is future proof, and an open network guarantees access to any service provider.
Stream media to your TV over the internet, in full HD quality. Services such as Netflix, Show Max, Vidi and Front Row allow you to watch your favorite series and movies on demand, with thousands of titles at your fingertips. This means you can watch your shows when you want, pause, rewind, and watch again at your own leisure. Enjoy faster web surfing, faster downloads, better quality YouTube videos, and crystal clear Skype calls.
The latest research shows that fibre to the home can increase the value of your home by up to 8%. Homes in areas with high quality fibre are in greater demand, and these homes are in short supply. The average house in Lynnwood is valued at more than R 3 Million. Even a just a 1% increase in property value would pay for a 100 Mbps fibre line with a 200 GB data cap for more than TWO AND A HALF YEARS!
Community & Home Security
A Fibre network in the Lynnwood community allows for increased security. The Fibre network could connect CCTV cameras within our community. These cameras could focus on the entrances and exits of the community, as well as other high risk areas (such as parks and open areas of land). Your home security camera could be monitored from anywhere in the world, to make sure everything is still in order while you are away.
With always on, high speed internet, your child's education is within your control. With all the resources available on-line these days, you can ensure education is maximised. Websites such as Khan Academy provides classes and tests from Primary school to university level on all the important subjects. Struggling with maths? There are extra maths classes right on the other side of the screen. Even adults are never too young to learn about a new topic, and Coursera has a course for everyone. With Fibre internet there is no need to hold back on internet access, and no need to hold back on education.
Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) does for your phone, what digital cameras did to film cameras. VOIP converts your phone to a digital device, greatly improving voice quality while at the same time cutting costs.
Home automation and smart metering moves your house into the 21st century. With always on internet you can control and monitor your home from work, the coffee shop, or even while on vacation.